Salz Leathers History A timeline
San Lorenzo Tannery (1896)
Originally opened as James Duncan & William Warren Tannery in 1857 at a different site, eventually moving to the current site in 1861. In 1867 it was renamed Kron Tannery after Jacob F. Kron. He later renamed the company San Lorenzo Tannery. Ansley K. Salz obtained full ownership of the facility in 1929. The site was serviced by the Southern Pacific Railroad prior to its ownership by the Salz family.
Napa Sawyer Tannery
Founded in 1869; birthplace of "Nappa leather," a name that was copied by many other non-Napa leather makers. Sawyer would grow to be the largest tannery west of the Mississippi.
The Benicia Tannery produced 18 different kinds of leather, employed between 30 and 40 people and had a payroll of more than $2,000 per month.
"This is the story of the Salz family’s tannery that came to Benicia, grew into a huge industry in a complex of large buildings, then vanished completely, leaving not a trace.” (part two)
Santa Clara Eberhard Tannery
San Joaquin Wagner Company
"Hides formed one of the principal products shipped from this valley in the early days, and it was not long before the fact was recognized that more money could be made by converting them into leather here than in shipping them to Eastern towns, and then be compelled to buy the leather from them. The first tannery was established in 1853, by J.C. Wagner, which has since been developed into the large establishment, the Pacific Tannery, Kullraan, Wagner & Co., proprietors.”
Wagner, Charles L. - 1837-1913 Born in Germany. To USA and California and Stockton via Panama in 1856. He worked at different tanneries in the state and then came back to Stockton in 1858. He & his brother started a tannery in Stockton in 1856 called The Pacific Tannery. It became an important industry in the city. In 1895 it became the Wagner Leather Company.
Sacramento Daily Bee Thursday Evening October 3, 1867
RABEL’S TANNERY - At two o’clock to-morrow afternoon, on the premises, J. DAVIS will sell by auction the property known as Rabel’s tannery, comprising the block bounded by A.B., Twenty-seventh and Twenty-eighth streets, also the large two-story frame house, together with all the barns and outbuildings.